Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Happy Mother's Day Weekend

It was nice to have my mom here for Mother's Day! It was the first time Mom and Dad have visited us in Leo.

Mom and Dad got here on Friday afternoon. The next morning was the Spring Banquet at the Fellow Center. Mom, Miranda, Rachel and I went. The theme was being instruments of Christ. The centerpiece for each table was a musical instrument--ours had a flute. Others had violin, tamborine, dulcimer, drum, trumpet, viola and more. They had a lady playing the harp when we got there.

At each seat, we had a scroll with a song printed on it. During the course of the morning, each table was to work together to make up new words to the melody of that song to go with the theme of being instruments of Christ. We got "All the Way my Savior Leads Me." Here are our new words:

All the way my Savior leads me, Helps me as I do my part.
Guides me into loving service, creates in me a joyful heart.
Family first, then onto others, as an instrument of grace,
Build in me a heart of righteousness, so I'll see You face to face.

There were a lot of really good verses, and the ladies on the committee collected all of them and are going to put them together in a booklet. I'll post more when I get them.

We had what Mark calls girl-food--things like quiche, little fruit drinks, fruit kebabs, little pastries. It was yummy!

We had decided to go out to eat on Saturday evening, and stay home on Sunday evening, so we went to a local restaurant. The food was great--hmmm, future date night place?!

Sunday church was really empty because of a wedding that a lot of people had gone to. In fact, it was probably the emptiest I'd seen it since we moved here. But it might have been a blessing too for Mom and Dad. They could get to know a few people at a time.

After church, Mark grilled chicken and made a wonderful Mother's Day meal. Wonderful in that I didn't have to cook it and didn't have to clean it up! And he is an excellent cook! :) For dessert, we went and got ice cream.

We went to one of the houses on campus later in the evening and played basketball and card games.

Monday was school and fix it day. Meaning I did school with the kids while Mom altered several skirts for me and Dad put up a ceiling fan in the sunroom. Oh, I didn't mention that they brought some meat for our freezer (another blessing to being close--being able to get good meat often!) and a vanload of stuff from their shed. It has been a blessing to be able to store some of our stuff there, but now we need a big trailer to get it all out here.

It is going to be really nice to have those skirts. I've been needing them fixed for a long time. Thanks Mom! And the sunroom doesn't have heat or AC, but the ceiling fan is going to make it usable this summer. Thanks Dad!

By the way, we did have more people go through our house, but they need something cheaper. We'll keep praying...

1 comment:

The Waldbeser Family said...

Sounds so neat!! I'm so glad that your closer to your dear grandparents now!!

we mailed the pictures yesterday, so you should be getting them soon! :)